Women’s boxing first appeared in the Olympic Games at a demonstration bout in 1904. For most of the twentieth century, however, it was banned in most nations. Women’s boxing was not featured at the 2008 Olympics; however, on 14 August 2009, it was announced that the International Olympic Committee’s Executive Board had approved the inclusion of women’s boxing for the London 2012 Olympics Games.
To celebrate the arrival of Women’s Boxing to the Olympic stage, Kara Messina has customized a pair of Adipower boxing boots to celebrate sisterhood on this monumental occasion. The whole process has been documented by Adidas and included in their All In, All 2012 campaign. Go Kara!
Congratulations to all the women who took part in such a momentous and ground breaking event but a special congratulations to the gold medalists:
- Flyweight – Nicola Adams – Great Britain
- Lightweight – Katie Taylor – Ireland
- Middleweight – Claressa Shields – USA
- Shields, Taylor, Adams win women’s boxing titles (sacbee.com)
- Women’s boxing a big hit in Olympics debut (m.jacksonville.com)